Use frozen bread dough if you’re pressed for time, or spend some family time and use this favorite recipe of my grandmother’s that requires no kneading.
1. Soften yeast in warm water, and set aside.
2. In a mixer or large bowl, combine milk, sugar, shortening, and salt; cool to lukewarm.
3. Add 1 1/2 cups flour; beat well. Beat in yeast and egg.
4. Gradually add remaining flour to form a soft dough.
5. Placed in a greased bowl, turning once to grease all surfaces. Cover with plastic wrap, and set in a warm place.
6. Let dough rise until doubled.
7. Make dough into animal shapes, remembering that they will double in size.
8. Let rise again until almost double (about 30–45) minutes.
9. Bake on a greased baking sheet at 375 degrees until golden brown, about 12–15 minutes.