How much of Earth is covered with land and water?
Only 30 percent of Earth is covered by land, which includes all types of environment, such as the desert, rain forest, and Arctic tundra. Far more of Earth, about 70 percent, is covered with water. Of this, more than 97 percent is salty seawater from our oceans. All of Earth’s freshwater makes up the remaining 3 percent. Freshwater includes water from the polar icecaps, lakes, rivers, and groundwater (water from wells and aquifers).