In 1966 Public Law 89-791, a public education act, was enacted. Following the passage of this act, two schools were established in Washington, D.C.: Federal City College and Washington Technical Institute. Both institutions were designed to serve the needs of the community and to direct resources and knowledge gained through education to help solve urban problems. The schools opened in 1968 and were given land-grant status in that year as well. On August 1, 1977, the District of Columbia Teachers College, Federal City College, and Washington Technical Institute merged to become the University of the District of Columbia. Lisle Carleton Carter Jr. (1925–2009) became the first president.