Freedom’s Journal advocated the abolition of slavery and attacked anti-black sentiment. The newspaper was founded at 5 Varick Street in New York City. The first issue appeared on March 30, 1827. It was the first black-owned newspaper that opposed slavery and advocated for autonomy for slaves. It also sought to put the black cause before the American public, celebrated black achievement, and promoted racial pride. The editors wrote, “We wish to plead our own cause. Too long others have spoken for us.” This statement has been quoted frequently in the history of the black newspaper. Later the newspaper changed names to become Rights of All. It was owned and edited by Presbyterian minister Samuel Eli Cornish (1795–1858) and abolitionist and colonizationist John Brown Russwurm (1799–1851).