The Siloam inscription is a stone slab bearing text written in Hebrew. The stone dates from the time of Hezekiah, and was found by a boy (some accounts say two boys) playing in the tunnel in 1880. The inscription was mounted on the wall of the tunnel. Previous examinations of the tunnel had not revealed this, most likely because it was camouflaged by generations of grime. The inscription describes how workers began to dig simultaneously at both ends of the tunnel. Most likely, the idea was for the workers to meet in the middle. The sharp turn at the center of the tunnel suggests that workers did not meet in the middle as planned, but adapted the construction as needed. Today, Hezekiah’s tunnel is open to the public.