Mushrooms and Edible Fungi

Does an antidote for mushroom poisoning exist?

At this time, no effective antidote for mushroom poisoning in humans exists. The toxins produced by mushrooms accumulate in the liver and lead to irreversible liver damage. Unfortunately, it’s possible that no indication of poisoning will happen for several hours after ingesting a toxic mushroom. When the symptoms do present, they often resemble typical food poisoning. Liver failure becomes apparent three to six days after ingesting a poisonous mushroom, with the only solution usually being an eventual liver transplant.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Biology Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App