Below is a short list of current goals in materials science engineering. This is by no means a comprehensive list, but it is just meant to give you an idea of what is going on in the field of materials science research today.
- Develop structural materials with high temperature stability to increase engine efficiency at high temperatures
- Develop strong, chemically stable, rust- and corrosion-resistant materials for use in construction
- Develop lightweight, mechanically strong materials for high-speed flight
- Develop strong, cost-efficient types of glass to make unbreakable windows increasingly available to the general public
- Develop materials to facilitate the processing of nuclear waste
- Develop fibers with extremely low light absorption for use in optical communication cables