Do oceans get more rain than land

Precipitation Read more from
Chapter Water and Ice

The oceans receive just over their share, percentage-wise, of the world’s precipitation, about 77 percent. The remaining 23 percent of precipitation falls on the continents. Some areas of the world receive far more precipitation than others. Some parts of equatorial South America, Africa, Southeast Asia, and nearby islands receive over 200 inches (500 centimeters) of rain a year, while some desert areas receive only a fraction of an inch of rain per year.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Geography Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App