The Future

Teaching Children About Investing

Can I give money to my children without incurring any tax liability?

A parent may give a gift of $14,000 or less to a child without having to pay a gift tax and filing form 709 for the filing year 2013. Additionally, a spouse may also give a minor $14,000, and “split” the gift for a total of $28,000. In this case, you must file a form 709, and the spouse needs to sign the form. Please consult your tax adviser for more information, as these amounts may change from year to year.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Investing Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App