Family Law

Child Support

Can a court require a parent to pay child support?

Yes, a court can require the noncustodial parent (the parent without primary or legal custody) to provide reasonable child support—including medical expenses. Before child support can be imposed on a person, there must be an establishment of parenthood. In most instances, a mother seeks to establish paternity of the alleged father of her child. Once paternity is established—usually by testing—then child support can be imposed upon the so-called father.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Law Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App