Family Law

Child Custody

Can courts modify custody arrangements?

Yes, and courts frequently do so depending upon changed circumstances amongst the parents. In order for a court to change custody, in most states the court must find that there has been a “material change in circumstances.” This means that, for example, a custodial parent has taken up residence with a known drug abuser. That could constitute a “material change in circumstances” that could allow the noncustodial parent the right to regain custody.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Law Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App