Family Law


Does a biological father have the right to notification that his child may be placed for adoption by the child’s mother?

Yes, the laws of many states may require that biological fathers be notified of the adoption of his child. Biological fathers may be placed in a putative father registry. A putative father is defined as the alleged or reputed father of a child born out of wedlock. Such notice in many states can be by registered or certified mail, personal service.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Law Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App