Lawyers and Lawsuits


If a party loses, what are his or her legal options?

A litigant can petition the court for a judgment notwithstanding the verdict, asking the judge to find that the jury’s verdict clearly was against the weight of the evidence. A litigant can also petition the court for a new trial.

Realistically, the only option may be to appeal the verdict to a higher court. Appellate courts often deal mainly with questions of law but can also overrule a lower court if there is a clear factual error. Many legal errors are reviewed de novo, meaning that the higher court will give a fresh view to those issues.

Often a client will keep the same lawyer, but sometimes the client may want to hire an attorney who specializes in appellate advocacy—the art of arguing before appellate courts.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Law Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App