Family Law


If you think you are the father of a child, but you are not married and the mother refuses to let you see the baby, is there anything you can do?

If the mother of the child will recognize that you are the baby’s father, then you and she can sign an “acknowledgement of paternity” which takes care of the issue. If the mother will not recognize you as the baby’s father, then you will have to file suit in court to establish paternity. You would file suit in court, contending that you are the father. You would seek a paternity test that will determine whether you are the baby’s father. Once your paternity has been established, then you can exercise your rights to visitation as the baby’s father. Admittedly, this process can be a difficult one, particularly without the cooperation of the child’s mother.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Law Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App