Credit and Bankruptcy Law


What can you do if there is an error on your credit card bill?

Fortunately, there is a federal law known as the Fair Credit Billing Act which provides an avenue for relief for those who are charged wrongly, incorrectly, or unfairly. Under the Fair Credit Billing Act, you must notify the credit of the error promptly—within 60 days of first receiving notice. You may wish to contact the creditor in writing and explain the error so as to ensure the triggering of the protections of this law.

Your letter (which you should send by certified mail) should contain your name and the account number on which the error took place, your belief as to the specific billing error and the amount of the error, and the reasons why this is in error (never charged, wrong amount charged, double billing, etc.)

The good news is that a creditor cannot harm or threaten to harm your credit rating during the pendency of the particular dispute.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Law Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App