Lawyers and Lawsuits

Finding a Lawyer

What if you are charged with a crime and don’t have enough money for an attorney?

If a person is indigent (poor) and cannot afford an attorney, he or she may qualify for representation from a public defender’s office. There are federal public defender’s offices for those charged with federal crimes and local public defender offices for those charged with state or local crimes.

When a person is taken into custody, the authorities may make them fill out a form that describes their assets and financial condition. If a person qualifies, then the public defender’s office will apply to represent them or the court will appoint the public defender’s office to represent them.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Law Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App