Viruses, Bacteria, Protists, and Fungi

What antidote is available for mushroom poisoning?

No effective antidote for human poisoning by mushrooms has been discovered. The toxins produced by mushrooms accumulate in the liver and lead to irreversible liver damage. Unfortunately, there may be no indication of poisoning for several hours after ingesting a toxic mushroom. When the symptoms do present, they often resemble typical food poisoning. Liver failure becomes apparent three to six days after ingesting the poisonous mushroom. Oftentimes a liver transplant may be the only possible treatment.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Science Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App