These safety rules should be observed when lightning threatens:
- Stay indoors. Seek shelter in buildings. If no buildings are available, the best protection is a cave, ditch, canyon, or under head-high clumps of trees in open
- forest glades. If there is no shelter, avoid the highest object in the area. Keep away from isolated trees.
- Get out of the water and off small boats.
- Do not use the telephone.
- Do not use metal objects like fishing rods and golf clubs.
- Stay in your automobile if you are traveling.
- Do not use plug-in electrical equipment like hair dryers, electric razors, or electric toothbrushes during the storm.