The Atmosphere


What is a Rossby wave?

Named after Swedish meteorologist Carl-Gustaf Rossby (1898–1957), Rossby waves refer to the large air mass waves that inhabit the middle layer of our atmosphere, including the jet stream and high-and low-pressure systems.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Weather Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App