Modern Meterology

Careers in Meteorology

What kinds of courses should I take at the university level?

For a more generalized career in meteorology, such as weather forecaster, a broad course in meteorology at the undergraduate level will prepare you well to continue on to graduate school. If you are particularly interested in detailed work in atmosphere science, you would be wise to earn an undergraduate degree in chemistry, physics, mathematics, or engineering. The growing field of environmental and climate research offers opportunities to meteorologists who also have an educational background in fields such as biology, ecology, oceanography, and geophysics. To increase your chances of finding a job at a professional level in meteorology, you will need at least a master’s degree, and a doctorate is often preferred.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Weather Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App