Published in 1862, L’Union was Louisiana’s first black newspaper and the first black biweekly. The paper was published from September 27 until December 20, 1862, and became a triweekly beginning December 23, 1862. Publication was suspended on May 31, 1864, but the paper continued to struggle until it was disbanded on July 19, 1864. From early July 1863, the paper was published in both English and French. Its chief editor was Paul Trevigne, a black man who was born and reared in New Orleans. In 1864 Louis Charles Roudanez and his associates bought the defunct newspaper, revived it, changed the title to La Tribune de la Nouvelle Orleans, and published it irregularly until 1871.
An illustration of three men shows David Ruggles in the center. Ruggles, whose ill health led to blindness, was an abolitionist and journalist who published daring articles and pamphlets against slavery.