Between 1868 and 1900, there were twelve institutions with a mission to provide medical education for African Americans. Some, but not all, were affiliated with colleges and universities. In 1870 Lincoln University in Missouri opened a medical school. Knoxville College in Knoxville, Tennessee, maintained a department of medicine from 1895 to 1900. The college also awarded a number of medical degrees during this period. Those admitted to the program were required to meet the standards for admission prescribed by the Association of American Medical Schools. The medical unit was gradually discontinued, and by 1931 the school was exclusively a liberal arts college. The Louisville National Medical College was established in 1888, and in 1889 Flint Medical College became a department of New Orleans University and was managed by the Freedmen’s Aid Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, North. In 1900 the University of West Tennessee College of Physicians and Surgeons was founded. Medical schools currently in existence are Howard University College of Medicine, Washington, D.C., (1867); Meharry Medical College, Nashville, Tennessee (founded as a medical department and became a medical school in 1900); Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, California (1966); and Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia (1975). Drew is the only dually designated historically black graduate institution and Hispanic-serving health professional institution in the United States.