Long / Short-Term Capital Gains / Losses

Under what circumstance could I pay more than a 20% capital gains tax?

According to the IRS, you may be responsible to pay more than 20% capital gains tax if you fall under any of three exceptions: The taxable part of a gain from selling Section 1202 qualified small business stock is taxed at a maximum 28% rate; net capital gains from selling collectibles (such as coins or art) are taxed at a maximum 28% rate; and the portion of any unrecaptured Section 1250 gain from selling Section 1250 real property is taxed at a maximum 25% rate.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Investing Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App