Long / Short-Term Capital Gains / Losses

Where do I report capital gains and losses when I file my taxes?

When you file your taxes and report any capital gains or losses during a tax reporting year, you file IRS Form 1040, Schedule D, “Capital Gains and Losses,” and Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets, along with your tax return.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Investing Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App