Family Law

Child Support

Can courts modify child support obligations?

Yes, a party can petition the court for a change in child support obligations provided that they can show a material change in circumstances. For example, if a custodial parent learns that the other parent who provides child support recently obtained a new job that pays much more money, the custodial parent can petition for an increase in child support. Likewise, if a person ordered to pay child support makes less money and the court determines such a loss in income is not his or her fault, the court might order a reduction in child support.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Law Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App