Family Law

Child Support

What happens if a person refuses to pay child support?

If a person continues to refuse to pay child support, he or she can be found guilty of criminal contempt and placed in jail. Some states refer to the crime as “criminal nonsupport.” The penalties can be serious. Alaska law provides that a person can be sentenced to a Class A felony for criminal nonsupport. Tennessee law provides that a person can be jailed in a county workhouse for up to six months for failure to comply with support obligations.

Court-ordered child support is not optional, and parents who do not pay can find themselves in jail (iStock).

This is a web preview of the "The Handy Law Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App