Federal Taxes

How do I qualify for head of household filing status?

You may qualify for head of household filing status if you are unmarried during the filing year, you filed a separate return than your former spouse, pay more than half of the upkeep of the household during the year, your spouse did not live with you during the last six months of the year, your home was the main household for your dependent child or children (including step and foster children), and you can claim an exemption for the child.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Personal Finance Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App