Federal Taxes

When may I use Form 1040EZ?

You may use 1040EZ if you meet all of the following requirements: your filing status is single or married filing jointly; you claim no dependents; you, and your spouse if filing a joint return, were under age 65 on January 1, 2011, and not blind at the end of 2010; you have only wages, salaries, tips, taxable scholarship and fellowship grants, unemployment compensation, qualified state tuition program earnings, or Alaska Permanent Fund dividends, and your taxable interest was not over $1,500; your taxable income is less than $100,000; your earned tips, if any, are included in boxes 5 and 7 of your Form W-2; you did not receive any advance earned income credit payments; you do not owe any household employment taxes on wages you paid to a household employee; you are not a debtor in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed after October 16, 2005; you are not claiming the additional standard deduction for real estate taxes, net disaster losses, or qualified motor vehicle taxes; you do not claim a student loan interest deduction, an educator expense deduction, or a tuition and fees deduction, and you do not claim an education credit, retirement savings contributions credit, or a health coverage tax credit.

The 1040EZ form is the simplest tax return form you can file, but should only be used if you don’t want to itemize your deductions and do not have complicated income considerations.


This is a web preview of the "The Handy Personal Finance Answer Book" app. Many features only work on your mobile device. If you like what you see, we hope you will consider buying. Get the App