What are the steps in the digestive process?
There are five major steps in the process of digestion.
- Ingestion: the eating of any food
- Peristalsis: the involuntary muscle contractions that move the ingested food through the digestive tract
- Digestion: the conversion of the food molecules into nutrients that can then be used by the body
- Absorption: the passage of the nutrients into the bloodstream and/or lymphatic system to be used by the body’s cells
- Defecation: the elimination of the undigested and unabsorbed ingested materials