Measures and Measurement
What are the fuel equivalents to produce one quad of energy?
One quad (meaning one quadrillion) is equivalent to:
- 1 X 1015 BTU
- 252 X 1015 calories or 252 X 1012 K calories
In fossil fuels, one quad is equivalent to:
- 180 million gallons (681 million liters) of crude oil
- 0.98 trillion cubic feet (0.028 trillion cubic meters) of natural gas
- 37.88 million tons of anthracite coal
- 38.46 million tons of bituminous coal
In nuclear fuels, one quad is equivalent to 2,500 tons of triuranium octaoxide (U3O8) if only uranium–235 (U235) is used.
In electrical output, one quad is equivalent to 2.93 X 1011 kilowatt-hours electric.